Monday, November 1, 2010

Phew!

It's been a while, but I've been busy learning the ropes at my new job. I do, however, have much happy news to report such as the arrival today of my Huetiful Hair Steamer!
I ordered it last Wednesday or Thursday from www.behuetiful.com and it arrived today. I haven't used it yet, but I did put it together in about five minutes. I plan on using it on my Sunday Wash Day in conjunction with my adopted winter Ayurvedic regimen. Friday, I stopped at a local Indian grocery store and got four Ayurvedic herbal powders and three oils for $23 and some change! And, my supplies will last for several deep conditioning treatments. I have pix of everything I got, but haven't been able to upload them.

I also ordered six samples of shampoo bars from www.chagrinvalleysoap.com. 
They have quite a variety, but I chose Ayurvedic Herb, Extra Honey Beer,Mud & Clay, Babassu & Marshmallow, and the Butter Bar Conditioner. Again, they just came today so I won't be using them just yet. I'll let you know how they turn out when I do.

Regarding the Ayurvedic regimen and the shampoo bars, I'd like to thank MopTop Maven at moptopmaven.blogspot.com. I knew I needed to try something different for winter, but wasn't quite sure what to do. But, this feels right. So far, my hair's been doing great with my typical regimen. A summer picture (that also wouldn't upload) shows my afro around my ears, Now, it sits on my shoulders. I've noticed less shedding and tangling, and Wash Day Sunday only takes about an hour. What I do is:

  • Working one section at a time without detangling, I apply LeKair Cholesterol with Aloe conditioner (I love this stuff and have used it since I was a little girl) to my dry hair and then loosely braid it. The braids should be loose enough to work shampoo, water and conditioner through but not so loose they come undone. I usually have eight to 10 braids.
  • Once all of my hair is braided, I put on a plastic cap and let the conditioner sit for about two hours. Then, I hop in the shower and rinse it all out. 
  • Next, I shampoo and condition (with a different conditioner) as usual, with my hair still braided.
  • After washing, I work with one braid at a time. I gently take the braid apart, fingercomb Kinky Curly's Knot Today detangler through the hair, comb with my Mebco shower comb, and seal with my Sheacoco Whip. The hair is then twisted, but about halfway down the twist, I apply Uncle Funky's Daughter's Curly Magic gel.
  • I then let my twists dry overnight and then take them down in the morning and style.
I've had amazing results with this method and my hair is hardly tangled anymore. I also don't style my hair through the week, but my twist-out stays intact and actually looks better the older it gets. At night, I just put my Sue Maesta Hooded Headband (thank you Carmelita!) over my loose hair and go to sleep! In the morning, I simply fluff and twist as necessary (about five minutes).



1 comment:

  1. Big congrats on your new edition, I've heard many great things about it. And I see you also like one of favorite staple curly magic. I've been using this for quite sometime. I try other gels from time to time but alllllways find my self right back to good ole' curly magic :)

    Take care and enjoy your new edition.

    zainab1
    AuNaturale007.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete