Sunday, September 25, 2011

Another Black Hair Care Company Going Overseas

While recently completing a little market research, I ran across a little blurb about Namaste Laboratories. Initially, I didn't think much more about it, but the name sounded familiar. After a few more minutes passed, I Googled Namaste Laboratories and realized why the name sounded so familiar...it's the parent company of Organic Root Stimulator, a brand whose products I've intermittently enjoyed using over the years.


Unfortunately, a news blurb revealed that Namaste Laboratories, a U.S.-based company established in 1996 catering to the hair care needs of women of color, was recently purchased by Dabur India and three of its subsidiaries, for $100 million, as its entry into the "African American hair care markets" in Africa and the U.S.


Now don't get me wrong. I use quite a lot of Indian hair products, oils and herbs, and I love Dabur India's products. In fact, most of the Indian products I pick up from my favorite local Indian grocer are made by Dabur India. But, I do have mixed feelings about this:


  1. Yet another American company sells out to an overseas conglomerate.
  2. In addition to our outcry that "the Koreans" have taken over our hair care industry, will we also be saying the same thing about Indians since this particular company is the world's largest Ayurvedic and natural health care company...not to mention the fourth largest company in India.
  3. As a result, will Organic Root Stimulator employees be displaced from their jobs if/when production shifts to India?
  4. Will Organic Root Stimulator's formulations be changed to suit Dabur India?
I love Dabur India and Organic Root Stimulator products, but am wary about any unforeseen changes. Only time will tell.

No comments:

Post a Comment